Embedded Engineer (Cameras, Hardware & Sensor Systems)
Orchards in the U.S. produce $35B of fruit every year, but fruit farmers are losing 30-50% of their potential crop because they lack data needed to manage crops precisely.
Orchard Robotics is a seed-stage startup backed by top VCs like General Catalyst, Contrary, Soma Capital, Humba Ventures, and angel investors like Howard Lerman (founder of Yext).
We’re building Robots & AI that enable precision crop management. Our AI-powered camera systems count, size, and measure the growth of every fruit on the 1,000,000+ trees in an orchard. Our mission is to help farmers to produce more food for the world, much more efficiently.
Farmers are using our technology today in some of the largest orchards in the nation.
We are looking for an Embedded Engineer who will utilize their extensive experience with camera sensors, embedded compute hardware (NVIDIA Jetson), and sensor systems to invent creative, pragmatic, and robust solutions to challenging, real-world computer vision problems. If you're looking to help make a positive impact in the world by transforming the future of agriculture, come join us. Even if you may not meet every requirement, we'd strongly encourage you apply.
About the role:
- As an early engineer, you'll receive generous equity compensation
- Full-time role at our WA headquarters
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
- We move fast, and sometimes this means staying late or working weekends
- Our team is close-knit & highly driven, you’ll work directly with our CEO and entire team
- We’re deeply motivated by the impact we’re making – every line of code written or new system built means one less fruit that goes to waste, and one more person who is fed.
What you’ll do:
- Design, prototype, test, and deploy new iterations of hardware, cameras, and sensors for our advanced camera systems that mount onto tractors to analyze fruit in orchards
- Develop and automate processes like camera system configuration, calibration, and validation
- Work with embedded compute (NVIDIA Jetson) to interface and synchronize camera sensors, IMU, GPS, etc.
- Optimize performance of sensors to collect and process large amounts (TBs) of data every day.
- Create thorough test procedures to ensure accuracy and reliability of systems.
- Ensure consistent, reliable, and repeatable performance of camera systems when operating across different crops, environments, and real-world conditions (sunlight, weather, etc).
- Work closely with our software team for fluid integration of software and hardware systems
- Be a generalist, supporting different parts of our software and hardware if needed
What makes you a good fit :
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree with at least 2 years of industry experience in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or other relevant fields.
- Experience working with camera hardware, software, and image data processing in real-world, uncontrolled, outdoor environments
- Proven practical experience in designing, testing, and deploying complete, robust, high-performing embedded hardware solutions
- Experience creating embedded systems that require a high throughput of precise data collection, and tight synchronization between sensors
- Familiarity with camera and sensor data protocols (such as GMSL2, MIPI)
- Solid background in software engineering and working with camera algorithms & ISPs (HDR image processing, auto white balance, exposure, etc)
- Ability to learn quickly and operate in a dynamic environment
- Enthusiasm for taking on multiple roles and responsibilities as our company grows
- Familiarity with lenses and optics
- Experience synchronizing and fusing data from sensors like GPS and IMU
- Experience working with stereo vision
- Knowledge of electrical engineering and circuit design
- Knowledge of CAD and hardware design
Above all, we value candidates who aren’t afraid to tackle real-world challenges head-on, and are ready to make a truly positive impact on the biggest industry in the world (agriculture).
Join us in helping foster a more fruitful future!