Staff Software Engineer (Remote)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2022
From the Mayflower to the moon landing, every venture relies on insurance. The 1 trillion dollar insurance industry is fundamental to our economy, but has been slow to modernize. It’s a fragmented market that represents an enormous opportunity. We’re the fastest-growing brokerage in the country because we’re built for the 21st century.
By building a tech-driven insurance brokerage, we're able to transform the experience for our clients and teammates. Our platform eliminates paperwork for clients and gives them a modern dashboard to administer their Property & Casualty and Employee Benefits. For our internal teams, we take repetitive tasks off their plate by automating hundreds of workflows. Finally, we use data and analytics to negotiate with the insurance markets and find the best coverage and pricing.
As part of the Technology team at Newfront, you'll face complex technical challenges like building a files processing engine that can parse and analyze millions of insurance documents or designing a data analytics product that helps HR leaders select among hundreds of plans and vendors.
There are lots of opportunities for growth and ownership, including leading projects and teams. Also, we're eager to leverage new technologies and frameworks. Here are a few examples using LLMs that came from a recent hackathon.
Our unique approach recognizes both the vast potential of technology and the fundamental role of insurance experts. DE&I is in our DNA and we keep our core values at the center of everything we do. This position is open to remote candidates with Pacific Time Zone preferred. #LI-Remote
- Set technical direction for the team and contribute to the long-term technical vision
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional partners such as product managers, designers, data scientists, and business stakeholders to design and deliver high-quality, high-impact products and solutions
- Identify areas of improvement and drive projects to ensure the product's high stability, performance, and reliability
- Take a data-driven approach toward iterating product features
- Write exemplary code and be in the trenches alongside mentoring other Engineers and leading by example
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of experience designing and building large web applications at enterprise scale
- Strong programming and data engineering in one or more backend server languages (Java/Python/Ruby/Go/TypeScript/etc.).
- Proficiency with RDBMS such as MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience with web development best practices such as containerization, continuous integration, and continuous deployment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with non-technical stakeholders
- A track record of leading engineering project teams and working with cross-functional partners to deliver technical solutions that realize team and organizational goals.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with TypeScript backend frameworks such as Express/Node.js/Nest.js
- Experience with TypeScript frontend frameworks such as React.js/Next.js
- Experience with data pipelines and data-driven analytics
- Experience with Docker and CI/CD tool
At Newfront, we are committed to hiring diverse talent and supporting an inclusive workplace environment. If you are excited about a role at Newfront but feel you’re missing a few of the qualifications, we still encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself. You may just be the next Newfront team member that we are looking for!
Newfront is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Diversity is in our DNA and we believe that creating an inclusive workplace elevates the value we are able to bring to our customers and employees alike. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
See more open positions at Newfront
Something looks off?