Engineering Manager, Plan Operations
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
About the role
In this people leadership role, you will be leading the portfolio management area of our software based product offering. This combines an intelligent risk based model for portfolio allocation with high scale, reliability and usability.
Are you ready to join our amazing engineering team ?
As an engineering organization, we seek to redefine the retirement services space with software that drives toward an effortless, efficient, scalable and highly reliable cloud based experience. Joining our team requires passion for ownership - after all, this is what enables our users’ success.
How we do it:
- We value continuous improvement - we care about documentation, security, durability, not just throwing features over the wall.
- We help each other be better engineers - we leave things better than we found it.
- We aspire to collaborate seamlessly - we ensure our software is improving the customer experience.
What you get to do every day
- Utilize your leadership experience to assist high performing and engaged teams while also promoting a safe environment for people to experiment, learn and grow.
- Leverage your engineering experience to mentor teams to build quality software
- Work closely with your cross-functional teams to cultivate a fun, rewarding, agile and results-driven culture.
- Ensure our service is being delivered with high quality by ensuring we monitor and improve our customer perceived reliability and performance.
- Make intelligent trade offs while balancing, communicating and prioritizing the needs of your team and the business as a whole.
- Ensure there is a clear shared vision for engineering within the team, and a roadmap on how to get there.
- Establish and embody necessary processes and practices that enable the team to successfully develop, support and maintain our solutions.
- Attract, recruit and retain motivated and engaged engineers, building on and complementing the diversity of our teams.
- Be a role-model within Human Interest by supporting and growing the next generation of engineering leaders
What you bring to the role
- 7+ years of experience building and maintaining quality software in production at scale.
- Minimum of 3 years managing a technical team of developers in a fast paced environment.
- You care deeply about culture and foster collaborative, inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do their best work.
- Knowledge of software design and agile processes to effectively deliver products.
- Understanding of systems design, scalability, performance and data modeling concepts.
- Successful ownership of a high volume software service including ensuring customer cases are addressed in a timely manner and services are monitored for reliability and performance.
- Understanding of application security lifecycle and security best practices.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Past experience working in startups and/or fintech.
- Proactive and empathetic mindset - you love to roll up your sleeves to fix problems for our customers.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - The salary range target for the role seniority described in this job description is $200,000 - $215,000. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, compensation/equity mix, and market data. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Health Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures
Something looks off?