Senior Software Engineer, Client App
Build a next-level global freight management platform
At Flexport, our Client App team is part of the Enterprise & 4PL organization whose goal is to provide a world-class platform that helps our thousands of enterprise clients coordinate the movement of their goods through complex supply chains stretching around the world.
Logistics teams today are stuck using emails, spreadsheets, and fragmented, clunky UIs - We're building them a highly-customizable platform that puts their entire supply chain in one place, understands their varying workflows, and gives them bespoke tooling to quickly and easily find and address problems & risks and keep freight on track, costs down, and products in stock.
Our mission on Client App is to build a best-in-class platform for logistics teams to easily, efficiently, and effectively understand where their goods are, what actions they need to take now to keep things moving, and what future risks they may want to investigate.
Right now we're building the next generation of our application with new UX built for users managing thousands of shipments on top of a brand new freight data layer that ingests and consolidates customer-facing supply chain data from a wide range of sources (Flexport and non-Flexport), normalizes and validates it, then serves it to our UIs / APIs / reports alike to give customers a consistent, fast, accurate experience across the platform.
Tomorrow, we'll use this foundation to deep dive into customer workflows and build bespoke end-to-end workflow tools to speed up their most important tasks - Similar to how IDEs boost engineer productivity with code intellisense, refactoring, build system/VCS integrations, and more.
- Deep dive into complex real-world freight domains and customer workflows, designing and building systems that solve their problems at scale, and making it easy for other engineers to solve problems within that domain.
- Own the customer problem end to end, working with upstream freight fulfillment teams and internal operations teams to build the right solution for the customer.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert for the team's back-end technology, driving best practices in system design and back-end coding and upholding a high quality bar.
- Lead by example, spending most of your time building performant and reliable services
- Guide the team's technical roadmap, pushing for the technology choices that will make our systems performant, reliable, and easy to build in.
You should have:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Full stack experience (with primary strength in backend); Kotlin a plus but not required
- Understanding of database tradeoffs and ability to pick and work with the right tool for the job (SQL, NoSQL, scaling characteristics, etc)
- Experience with distributed systems development and technologies (GRPC, Protobufs, event streams like Kinesis/Kafka, build tools like Bazel/Gradle)
- Strong system design skill set
- Experience driving inter-team technical collaboration, communication and alignment
- Experience running code reviews and mentoring engineers in a technical capacity
It’s a plus if you:
- Have experience with Kubernetes
- Have experience with AWS tech stack (e.g. OpenSearch, EKS)
- Embrace not working only in a strictly defined swimlane, but jumping in to fix problems in areas when ownership is ambiguous and advocating for the customer.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
Something looks off?