Why We Exist
Every morning, 11,000 Americans wake up and begin their first day of retirement. While retirement should be an exciting, empowering, and fulfilling part of one’s life, the reality today is that retirement brings along with it a fundamentally new set of challenges that make it an overwhelming time for many.
At Chapter, we believe that the current infrastructure for retirement is broken, and we’re on a mission to fix it. We’ve started by building industry leading technology to solve the first major obstacle in retirement: navigating Medicare (healthcare coverage for retirees over 65). Our products help seniors sign up, choose an insurance plan, and leverage their plan after they are enrolled. And, unlike most Medicare advisors who only search plans that pay them, Chapter searches every Medicare option nationwide. This allows us to find savings and benefits that others miss.
But our ambition doesn’t stop with Medicare — we seek to transform the way that Americans navigate and experience retirement. If this sounds exciting to you, we’d love to speak with you.
About The Role:
At Chapter, we're reimagining retirement for older Americans, and our mission hinges on exceptional design. Crafting solutions that shape the way seniors navigate their healthcare coverage, manage their finances, and spend their time presents many design challenges, spanning both digital and physical experiences. Chapter is looking for a passionate and thoughtful product designer to lead the design of our new consumer app, as well as oversee the various ways our users interact with us, from embedded widgets on partner sites to phone calls with our Medicare Advisors.
What You’ll Do:
- Partner directly with Head of Product, company co-founders, and other leaders to understand and define opportunities for product investment
- Create wireframes, prototypes, and high-fidelity designs for experiences
- Help lead the overall product and design direction of the company
- Contribute to the development and evolution of our design system
- Take part in product and UX research through prototyping, user interviews and user testing
- Partner closely with engineers to ensure a high-quality product is shipped
- 5+ years of UI/UX/product design experience
- Excellent visual design, interaction design, and prototyping skills
- Excited by the prospect of zero-to-one design
- User-obsessed and excited to represent the voice of the user in internal discussions
- Experience designing products that users love, especially products that address complex problems with a thoughtful balance of simplicity and power
- Experience conducting and leading user research
- Highly proficient in Figma or comparable tool
- Strong communication skills and ability to stay highly organized
- Based in NYC and willing to come into the office 2+ days a week
- Prior experience designing at a consumer tech startup
Chapter Offers All Employees the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision, premiums covered at 100% for full-time employees
- Unlimited PTO, a winter break shutdown, and paid holidays to encourage a healthy work-life blend
- $500 desk setup subsidy to set-up your unique home office
- $100/month health and wellness subsidy
- Partnerships with Talkspace (mental health support), Teledoc (telehealth), and OneMedical (concierge medicine)
- In-office lunch on Tuesdays/Thursdays, and a stocked office pantry
- Generous and competitive parental leave for all parents
- A beautiful NYC (SoHo/West Village area) office and a hybrid in-office policy — dogs welcome!
We think the salary for this role will be in the $150,000- $200,000, but it might vary depending on skills and experiences. If you think you'd be a good fit for the role, you should apply. All of our offers are based on our assessment of each individual's unique skills and experience.
Chapter embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Chapter will provide any necessary accommodation during the recruitment and selection process to an employee or applicant with a disability.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.